Residents in the Rochester community are afforded excellent educational opportunities for students from pre-Kindergarten through post-secondary education. The area is served by a top-rated public school system, a host of private schools and three top-rated institutions of higher learning.
Spanning a 66-mile district, the Rochester Community Schools provides public education within 13 elementary schools, four middle schools and three high schools, along with the Alternative Center for Education (ACE) and adult and English as a Second Language programs. More than 14,500 students attend Rochester Community Schools, which boasts 95 percent of graduating students seeking enrollment in a number of colleges and universities.
The mission of Rochester Community Schools is to provide a quality education in a caring atmosphere for students to attain the necessary skills and knowledge to become lifelong learners and contribute to a diverse, interdependent, and changing world.
Points of Pride
- Rochester has 11 Reward Schools. Reward Schools are those schools that are ranked in the top 5% across the state.
- Two 2014 National Blue Ribbon Schools (Musson Elementary and VanHoosen Middle School). Designated by the U.S. Department of Education, these schools are recognized for their overall academic excellence. The schools are among 337 public and private schools nationally, and eight Michigan schools to receive this honor.
- Four year graduation rate is 93.9%, compared to state graduation rate of 77%
- 95% of graduates attend post-secondary schools
- ACT scores average 18% higher than the state composite. At RCS, our ACT average composite is 23.3. The state average composite is 19.8. These figures are representative of our exceptional teaching staff, quality curriculum, and high expectations.
- Student achievement scores in the top 5% on state tests
- Ranks in the top three school districts out of 29 in Oakland County for math, science, social studies, and writing test scores
- MEAP Reading - 5th
- MEAP Math - 2nd
- MEAP Science - 1st
- MEAP Social Studies - 3rd
- MEAP Writing - 1st
- Highly qualified, caring teachers
- 91% of parents graded the school district an A or B in a Harris Poll survey